Is my clothes dryer vent clogged?
Poorly vented or clogged dryer vent can cause fire hazards and even carbon monoxide poisoning. As many as 15,000 fires are dryer vent related. Dryer vent hoses can be bent, crimped, squashed, restricted and collect more lint. Lint also builds up with added condensation, pests in the vent, what you dry and how often the dryer runs.
What happens when dryer vent is blocked?
When lint accumulates in an exhaust duct, it reduces the dryer’s ability to expel heated water vapor. That causes heat energy to build up within the dryer. As the dryer overheats, mechanical failures can trigger sparks, which can cause lint trapped in the dryer vent to burst into flames. Fires generally originate within the dryer but spread by escaping through the ventilation duct, incinerating trapped lint, and following its path into the building wall.
How to tell if dryer vent is clogged?
- Does your drying cycle double or triple in time?
- Do clothes come out of the dryer very hot?
- Are you finding very little lint on your lint screen?
- Does your dryer stop during a cycle?
- Do your clothes have a moldy smell?
- Is your dryer hot to the touch while running?
- Do you find lint on your clothing?
- The lint trap is empty? With a decrease of suitable air flow, dryer vent ducts will not push it out to the lint trap.
- Do you have a plastic exhaust duct from your dryer to the wall? Upgrade to a metal exhaust duct to prevent fires.
- Did you know that carbon monoxide is vented through your dryer’s vent? The fumes that a gas dryer emits are dangerous.
- You do not clean the lint from the dryer’s lint screen after every load.
Learn the true condition of your dryer vent.
Clogged clothes dryer vents increases drying costs and shortens the life of your dryer. You’ll feel better when you clean your dryer vent. Move the dryer away from the wall, disconnect power, disconnect vent and vacuum lines. Go to the outside vent and do the same.
PDM Plumbing, Heating, Cooling Clean Team will perform a complete inspection to ensure your dryer is properly vented and free from lint, as well as possible nests of mice or birds. For clogged clothes dryer vent inspections in the greater Bolingbrook, Homer Glen, Joliet, New Lenox and Plainfield, IL areas, ring the PDM Clean Team. Serving the neighborhood for 135 years. Call PDM for friendly help with a safety dryer vent inspection. Contact PDM for details. 815-207-4111.