The tingling, penetrating heat from a burn grabs your attention. And the loss of fluid from damaged blood vessels brings swelling and blistering. Hot water scalding is just as bad.
Most adults will suffer third-degree burns if exposed to 150 degree water for two seconds. Six-second exposure to 140 degree water or with a thirty second exposure to 130 degree water. Even if the water temperature is 120 degrees, you could receive third-degree burns in five minutes.
Under hot water you may experience pain, but some seniors may be unable to tell anyone or react properly to sudden scalding water.
Anti-Scalding Devices maintain safe water temperatures for everyone.
- The Temperature Activated Flow Reducer cuts the amount of hot water to about a quarter gallon per minute if the water temperature exceeds around 115 degrees. This gives the bather time to re-adjust the water flow without either getting burned or losing the hot water altogether.
- Faucet Temperature Activated Flow Reducer can be installed at the faucet spout.
- Whole House Anti-scald Thermostatic Mixing Valve – great for everyone including children at every faucet.
Dr. Oz burn treatment:
- Do run cold water over the burn for 10 minutes. Do apply aloe vera.
- Don’t apply ice. This could cause more trauma.
- Do wash with gentle soap and water.
- Don’t apply butter.
- Do call 911. Do apply a cool moist cloth to the burn. Do monitor your pulse.
- Don’t use home remedies. Don’t remove clothes stuck to burn; this could cause further trauma.
Hot water scalding can burn you at 105F degrees. Boiling is 212F.
What burn remedies have you found to work? Learn more about kitchen safety from Home Safety Council.
Sometimes you get burned from not paying attention. Other times from some form of war including getting emotionally burned by other people’s actions or non actions.
Anti-scald plumbing devices can prevent burns for older and younger people. Anti-scald hot water safety devices reduce the water flow to a trickle if it exceeds 120 F. Install on a single faucet or the entire home.
PDM Plumbers offer honest advice on hot water problems. After 134 years of standing behind our word, we feel good to guarantee your complete happiness and of course comfort. You won’t get burned by PDM Plumbing, Heating and Cooling. Call PDM for honest, award winning mechanical help. Serving Joliet SW Chicagoland for 134 years.