Five sump pump maintenance tips.
Five inches of rain on your roof can equal 8,715 gallons of water according to USGS. Some of us received a few inches of water in our basement (a few thousand gallons?)! Time to inspect and clean your sump pump pit for the next rain storm.
Sump pumps work until the day they die. Unfortunately you can’t predict if the pump is nearing the end of its life unless you have a special test instrument that measures how your pump motor is performing (not all pumps allow this test). PDM Plumbers offer a FREE sump pump motor health test while on a service call.
Sump pump maintenance tips.
- Visual sump pump check. Especially true during persistent rainfall. Check pump motor.
- Fill pit with water. Add a bucket of water, check float switch operation and pump discharges water in pit at a good speed. While the pump is running, make sure a stream of water is escaping from the air bleed hole. If not, clear the hole of any deposits or debris. Go outside and make sure the discharge water runs away from your home.
- Float switch – is it unobstructed, moves freely?
- Remove all debris from bottom of pit and pump inlet screen. Build up of debris is one of the major causes of sump pump failure. It is important to check your inlet suction screen and discharge line and make sure that there is no blockage every few months or after a hard rain. Remove the sump pump and clean both the pump and pit at least once every year.
- Backup pump are added protection. Battery backup pump is better. Check battery water level a few times a year. Batteries can last 2 to 5 years, some longer. Change as directed by the manufacturer.
PDM stands against cutting corners when it comes to water damage. If you have a question call the PDM Clean Team for expert sump pump maintenance service. We’ve offered honest answers since 1885. Call 815-726-6264. Sump pump maintenance in Joliet, New Lenox, Plainfield and SW Chicago Suburbs.
Why Work With PDM Plumbing, Heating, Cooling?
Our skilled team of plumbing, piping, HVAC experts promises the following with each and every call:
Guaranteed Pricing: You will never be surprised by an unpleasant bill. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee: Going beyond to make you happy. Environmentally Friendly: We recycle and use sustainable materials. Respect: We’re homeowners too, so we will always clean our messes and treat your property with respect.
Call a trusted plumber for sump pump maintenance at 815-726-6264.
Sump pump maintenance in Joliet, New Lenox, Plainfield, IL. PDM Plumbing, Heating, Cooling has been serving the Joliet-SW Chicago Suburbs since 1885.